Available at our year round facilities: Bomaderry Aquatic Centre, Bay & Basin Leisure Centre, Sussex Inlet Aquatic Centre and Ulladulla Leisure Centre.
Aqua aerobics has been a popular way to keep fit for years, particularly for people with certain health problems or those recovering from injury. Aqua aerobics is generally more low-impact than land based aerobics, these classes have most of the fat burning and endurance building benefits that you get from other forms of aerobic activity. A class of around 30-40 minutes will burn about 300 calories. Most classes run for 45 minutes and include a warm-up, cool-down and stretching exercises.
The main advantage of exercising in water is that it offers resistance in all directions due to the cushioning effect that water provides. It is particularly beneficial to the elderly, overweight or those recovering from soft tissue injury.
Water exercise is commonly advocate for people with the following conditions:
- Cardiac patients
- Soft tissue injury
- Joint problems
- Back problems
Benefits of Aqua Exercise
The main benefits of Aqua exercise are:
- Increased fitness levels
- Increased weight-loss and fat burning (high calorie burning after the workout)
- Builds strength and flexibility
- Excellent cardio-respiratory exercise
- Release of stress and tension
- The waters buoyancy lowers the risk of stress related injuries, that some land exercises have
- Exercising in water requires you to support only 50% of your body weight, making the exercises easier to perform
- The resistance from the water result in a higher workout intensity than some land based classes
- A massaging effect is created when your muscles are surrounded by water
Aqua Aerobics Class Descriptions
Aqua Lite (All Fitness Levels)
A gentle low impact class in shallow water. This is a 45 minute class to suit beginners, seniors and those recovering from injuries. The water reducing impact on the joints makes it a perfect environment for these conditions.
This class is designed for all levels of fitness. It is mainly in the shallow water with strong emphasis on increasing the heart rate, toning and endurance work. Great workout for abdominals, buttocks and thighs.