As of 2016 Council is providing a different format of awards. The Australia Day Awards will now be combined with the Shoalhaven Medal. The categories will now be:
- Citizen Award - 25 Years and older at 26 January. The winners of the Citizens Awards will be awarded the prestigious Shoalhaven Medal.
- Young Citizen Award - 24 years and under at 26 January (Australia Day)
As part of the Australia Day celebrations, Shoalhaven City Council in conjunction with the Australia Day Council (NSW) presents a Citizen and Young Citizen to residents of the Shoalhaven area.
The aim of the awards are to recognise outstanding contributions to the local community.
Nominations will generally be called in early September each year through advertising in local newspapers and on local radio stations (2ST and PowerFM).
Who can make nominations?
Anyone can make a nomination including individuals, clubs and associations but you cannot nominate yourself.
Who is eligible?
- All persons (other than previous winners of the award or Shoalhaven Medal), who are residents of the Shoalhaven City area at the time of nomination, are eligible to be nominated
- Persons who have previously been nominated but have not received an Australia Day award or Shoalhaven Medal are eligible to be nominated again
- Only individuals may be nominated. The nomination of a club or association or any other organisation will not be accepted.
How to enter
- Complete and submit the online form which will be available in September
- Ensure that both the candidate and the nominator have signed the printed copy of the form (or provided written consent)
- Attach a Photograph of the Nominee
- Please provide any information or other documentation that may support this nomination
- Forward the signed Nomination form and any attachments to:
Governance Business Unit
Shoalhaven City Council
PO Box 42 Nowra NSW 2541
Who judges the winners?
- Entries will be judged by a panel of local residents who have been invited to participate by the mayor.
- The judges decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be announced at a ceremony held prior to Australia Day