Council is responsible for looking after public facilities and providing community services across the Shoalhaven. This includes :
- Strategic (town) planning
- Construction and maintenance of local roads, streets and bridges
- Food and public health services
- Waste management and recycling
- Building and development control
- Maintenance of parks, sporting fields, pools
- Community facilities such as libraries, community centres, theatres and art galleries
- Pet registration and management
- Tourism services
- Promotion of economic development
- Child care facilities
- And many more
Council is made up of :
- The elected Council, which is made up of the Mayor and 12 Councillors across 3 Wards. They are voted in by residents in Local Government elections each 4 years, to represent the interests of the community.
- Council administration, which is led by the General Manager. It is responsible for the day to day operation and ensuring that the decisions of the elected Council are implemented.
Council staff and Councillors are required to abide by the Code of Conduct (PDF 378kb).