Council has established an Audit Committee based on guidelines issued by the Division of Local Government. The Committee membership consists of two Councillors and three appointed members of the community with business and/or governance experience.
The following people are members of the committee
- Councillor Andrew Guile - Councillor Guile was elected in September 2008 as a representative for Ward 1. He was appointed as a member of this committee on 16 December 2008, reappointed 21 September 2010, 28 June 2011 and 25 September 2012. His term will finish in September 2016.
- Councillor John Wells - Councillor Wells was elected in September 2012 for Ward 1 and is Deputy Mayor. He was appointed as a member for this committee on 25 September 2012. His term will finish in September 2016.
- Councillor Allan Baptist - Clr Baptist was elected in September 2012 for Ward 3. He was appointed as the alternate Councillor member of this committee on 25 September 2012. His term will finish in September 2016.
- Mr Colin Lonergan -Mr Lonergan is a resident of Lake Tabourie and was re-appointed for the period of December 2012 to September 2016. His qualifications include a B. App.SC, BA and a Dip Ed. Mr Lonergan is semi-retired after an extensive career in Australia and a wide range of countries, including working for the World Bank and as Deputy Director General of AusAID.
- Mr Bob Pullinger - Mr Pullinger is a resident of Vincentia and was appointed for the period of December 2012 to September 2016. His qualifications include a Graduate of Business Administration and fellow CPA. Mr Pullinger is retired after an extensive career with a very large international building products organisation which included 18 years as Chief Financial Officer for the Australian Division.
- Mr Tony Messner (Chairperson) - Mr Messner is a resident of Bomaderry and was appointed for the period of December 2012 to September 2016. He is a retired fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and the CPA. Mr Messner is semi-retired after an extensive career in business and politics. He has over 40 years experience as a public accountant including internal and external auditing. He was also a Federal Government Minister for several years.
The objective of the Audit Committee is to provide independent assurance and assistance to the Shoalhaven City Council on risk management, control, governance, and external accountability responsibilities.
The Audit Committee Charter
(PDF 84kb) sets out the committee's role and operation in more detail.
Council also has an Internal Audit Charter
(PDF 78kb) which details the roles and responsibilities of Council's internal audit staff.