Council and climate change

How Council is planning for climate change

Sea level rise - what the government and Council are doing

The 2009, NSW Government Sea Level Rise Policy required that Council consider, as a minimum, 40cm sea level rise by 2050 and 90cm rise by 2100. This policy has now been repealed by the State Government which now encourages each council to adopt their own sea level rise projections.  In response, Council in partnership with Eurobodalla Council engaged expert consultants to develop a South Coast Regional Sea Level Rise Policy and Planning Framework.  This document was not adopted by Council however part of it together with submissions from the NIPCC and local civil engineer were used by Councillors to adopt the following sea level rise projections on 10 February 2015.  100mm for 2030; 230mm for 2050 and 360mm for 2100.  Referring to table 10 on page 55 of the South Coast Regional Sea Level Rise Policy and Planning Framework these numbers correspond to the sea level rise projections associated with RCP6.0 (mid-range greenhouse gas emissions scenario).  The adopted 2030 and 2050 projections have a 15% chance (high probability line) of being exceeded while the 2100 projection of 360mm has a 85% chance of being exceeded (low probability line).

A visual summary and explanation of the figures can be viewed here

Coastal Hazard Maps 2016 

On 27 June 2017 Council adopted the Shoalhaven Coastal Hazard Mapping Review Final Report, which includes Council adopted sea level rise projections. The following coastal hazard maps reflect the findings of the report:

Coastal Hazard Maps 2009 - erosion (beaches)

Council has reviewed the impact of coastal hazards on the beaches along the Shoalhaven coastline, using the parameters set out in the 2009 NSW Government policy.

The SMEC 2009 coastal hazard assessment report and coastal hazard maps for each section of the coastline can be accessed at:
SMEC Coastal Hazard Study 2009. (File size: 2 MB)

Coastal Hazard Maps - Geotechnical (cliffs)

The impact of coastal hazards on the cliffs along the Shoalhaven coastline were assessed by SMEC in 2008. Geotechnical hazard maps are included in this report. The geotechnical hazards are not altered by sea level rise.
NOTE: These documents have been updated with the Final Report!

  • Report Part 1. Main Report (2.4 MB)
  • Report Part 2. (4.8 MB). This part includes geotechnical hazard maps for headlands at Racecourse Beach, Rennies Beach, Collers Beach, Bannisters Point and Inyadda Point.
  • Report Part 3. (4.0 MB). This part includes geotechnical hazard maps for headlands at Berrara Bluff, Hyams Point, Plantation Point and Penguin Head/Culburra Beach.
  • Report Part 4. Appendices (0.8 MB).

Scoping Study and Stability Assessment (3.1MB) for Surfers Avenue, Tallwood Avenue & Bannister Head Road, Narrawallee.

Coastal risk development controls

Properties affected by coastal instability in the Shoalhaven are currently managed through the provisions of draft Interim Policy – Areas of Coastal Management until such time that draft Development Control Plan 118 is finalised.

Council on 19 October 2010 resolved in part:

“…All DAs affected by coastal instability issues that are currently lodged and future DAs to be lodged prior to the finalisation of draft DCP 118 be generally assessed and determined in accordance with the provisions of the draft Interim Policy…”

A copy of the draft Interim Policy can be found at:

Coastal Slope Instability Hazard Study
 Supporting information to chapter G6 areas of coastal management of Shoalhaven Development Control Plan 2014.

Letter to affected land owners

Council has written to land owners whose property is affected by coastal hazards when predicted sea level rise is taken into account.

Meetings & Agendas

View all agendas and minutes for Council and Committee meetings.
Agendas & Minutes

Newsletter Signup

Signup for our In Your Neighbourhood newsletter and get news direct to your inbox!

© 2018 Shoalhaven City Council
Copyright  |   Privacy  |   Site Map