Did you know?
- Standby power can account for more than 10 per cent of your household electricity use and costs Australians over $500 million per year!
- Australian households spend up to $1,500 on their power bill each year
- The average amount of solar energy that falls on Australia is about 15,000 times the amount of energy Australians use each year
- Electric hot water is responsible for up to 1/3 of your energy use
- Every degree you move your air-conditioner temperature closer to the temperature it is outside, you will save approximately 10% on your air-conditioners running costs
- Insulation can save up to 45% on heating & cooling. Air conditioning will be more efficient with insulation installed.
- Fans cost 1-2 cents per hour to run compared to 30 cents for a typical split-system air-conditioner.
- Drafts can increase your heating costs by up to 25%!
- In winter windows can allow up to 40% of heat to leak out. Heat gain through an unshaded window in summer can be 100 times greater than through the same area of insulated wall.
- One minute less in the shower saves enough electricity to run a standard television for four hours!
How can I reduce my energy usage?
- If buying an appliance, ask how many kilowatt-hours it uses each year. Multiply this number by $0.24 and this will tell you roughly how much it costs to run each year.
- Buy a cent-a-meter to measure the usage of different items.
- Insulate & draught proof your home
- Consider solar hot water
- Avoid using a clothes dryer
- Add a blanket - not an electric one
- Wash in cold water
- Switch to energy efficient light bulbs.
- Compare the energy rating label of appliances before you buy.
- You can make big savings from using a pool pump more efficiently. Install a timer to control the pump's cycling and reduce filtration time to 6 hours per day. Use a pool cover in the winter if heating your pool.
- The Energy Efficiency Exchange is a joint initiative of the Australian, state and territory governments.
- Running costs can exceed the purchase price of some electrical appliances. Use the Smarter Choice running cost calculator to compare the running costs of electrical appliances before you buy.
Do Something Challenge
- Council has joined the do something challenge to reduce our energy use by 10%. You can take the challenge too!
- Do something reducing energy use by 10% will save you lots of money (new window)
- Green Power - Information about certified Green Power (Australian Government)