1920, Kangaroo Valley's first public court was constructed on private land opposite the Community Ambulance Centre station during an Australian tennis boom
1950, the tennis court had flood lighting installed as electricity was available from 1947
1979, Kangaroo Valley Tennis Club reformed at the Kangaroo Valley Public Hall. During this time, the tennis court was repaired and new flood lights were installed. This was accomplished by voluntary labour and was funded by the sale of the tennis court to Shoalhaven City Council.
1980, the tennis court was resurfaced with synthetic grass which was the first court of this kind. At this time, public amenities (toilet) in Broughton Street were constructed and Council paid cash in lieu which funded the court resurfacing
1981, the first club tournament occurred. In the following years, weekly club tennis began, Kangaroo Valley teams entered Saturday afternoon district competitions, and Kangaroo Valley night competitions commenced
1987, club member Paul Turnuck’s entry won Shoalhaven Council’s Earth Week competition which proposed the creation, by the community, of Riverside Park including two new tennis courts. The project was subsequently endorsed as the major Australia Bi-centennial project for Kangaroo Valley. Then Council purchased the required land.
1990, the tennis complex containing two tennis courts was opened.
1996/7, two additonal synthetic grass courts were constructed, to compliment the two hard surfact tennis courts, funded by contribution of the club and Council. Soon after, the original court in Broughton Street was decommisioned.
1997/8, Paul Turnock built the ‘Clubhouse’.
2005, tennis court 2 was resurfaced
2012, tennis court 3 was resurfaced
2 Hard Surface and 2 Synthetic Grass Tennis Courts
Available for hourly daytime hire
Tennis clubhouse and shelters
Public Amenities available on Broughton Street
Primary school coaching and private coaching
Mixed doubles night competitions
Members’ social Groups
Tennis Club members
Non-members including Valley tourists
Contact the Kangaroo Valley Tennis Club
Bookings can be made through the General Store and Newsagent on 02 4465 1512 or located at Shop 1/151 Moss Vale Road, Kangaroo Valley.
Tennis Club website
Get news from us direct to your inbox!