How Your Waste Is Recycled in the Shoalhaven > Shoalhaven City Council

Shoalhaven City Council News Feed

How Your Waste Is Recycled in the Shoalhaven

On Monday night, ABC program, Four Corners investigated the important topic of recycling and where it ends up.

In response to the program, Council has received several enquiries regarding our waste processing systems.

Shoalhaven City Council strongly condemns the unscrupulous waste processing practices exposed in Monday night’s Four Corners program.

The program exposed a number of practices occurring in areas of the waste industry that the public should rightly be outraged about. However, the claims and exposés made in the Four Corners program are not applicable in any way to Shoalhaven City Council’s Waste Services practices.


Where Does Your Waste Go?

Approximately 95% of the yellow bin material collected by Council is sorted and sent for recycling by local Bomaderry recycler, Shoalhaven Recycling. The remaining 5% consisting of contamination, such as foodstuffs, nappies and other non-recyclables, is sent to landfill.

The Four Corners program asserted that glass is widely sent to landfill or stockpiled in warehouses in Victoria.

In the Shoalhaven, glass is crushed to create a glass sand and reused in the local area under an EPA Resource Recovery Order & Exemption. The glass sand is reused under concrete slabs, for pipe embedment in trenches, for road making activities and as a drainage material in landscaping, and it is not sent to landfill or to warehouses in Victoria.

Shoalhaven Recycling is also active in investigating other reuse options which includes reuse as a filter media, and as a sand replacement in concrete and asphalt.

Paper, cardboard, tin cans, aluminium, scrap metal and plastic containers continue to be sold to long and established customers in the recycling market.

All red bin waste collected through Council’s contractor is transported directly to the landfill at West Nowra which is owned and operated by Council.  There is no incentive to take any of this waste material over a distance of 1,000km all the way to Queensland.

Find out more about recycling in the Shoalhaven...


Join Us on a Tip Tour

Did you know Council provides opportunities for residents to go on a “tip tour”? The tours explore all aspects of waste and recycling in the Shoalhaven and offer local residents a tangible way to understand the waste system.

If you are interested in taking a tip tour, please contact Council’s Waste Services on (02) 4429 3129.


Home Sustainability Workshops

Shoalhaven City Council offers free workshops in household sustainability covering topics such as:

  • Beeswax Wraps
  • Furoshiki (Japenese fabric wrapping)
  • Backyard Chicken Basics
  • Bokashi/Probiotics for House and Garden
  • Healthy Soil for a Healthy Life
  • Composting at Home
  • Worm farming
  • Home Organic veggie gardening.

Find out more...

Posted in: Community
  • How Your Waste Is Recycled in the Shoalhaven

Get Involved Proposed Fees and Charges 2018/19
Get Involved
Get Involved Revisions to the Code of Meeting Practice for Meeting Webcasting
Get Involved
Get Involved Shoalhaven River Levee Rehabilitation Project
Get Involved
Get Involved Marriott Park Masterplan - Nowra CBD
Get Involved


In Your Neighbourhood
Council's Weekly Email Newsletter
Neighbourhood News
Quarterly Rates Newsletter
Gumboot News
Council's River Floodplain Newsletter
Bushcare Email Newsletter
Council's Bushcare Volunteers Newsletter

Meetings & Agendas

View all agendas and minutes for Council and Committee meetings.
Agendas & Minutes

Newsletter Signup

Signup for our In Your Neighbourhood newsletter and get news direct to your inbox!

© 2018 Shoalhaven City Council
Copyright  |   Privacy  |   Site Map