Insurance - Shoalhaven City Council



What is owner-builder work? Owner-builder work is any work (including supervision and co-ordination) involved in the construction of, or alterations, repairs or additions to, a dwelling (which includes a house, terrace, town-house, garage, swimming pool and certain other structures and improvements): 
  • Where the reasonable market cost (including labour and materials) exceeds $10,000, and
  • Which relates to a single dwelling or dual occupancy* or a secondary dwelling:
    • that requires development consent under Part 4 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, or
    • that is a complying development within the meaning of that Act

Home warranty insurance

Home warranty insurance needs to be provided by:
  • a builder or tradesperson before taking any money (including a deposit) from a home owner (including an owner-builder) under a residential building contract and before starting any work under that contract
  • a ‘spec’ builder before starting any residential building work on a property owned by the builder
  • a developer before entering into a contract for the sale of a property on which a builder is doing or has done residential building work for the developer
  • an owner-builder (ie. a home owner who did owner-builder work under an owner-builder permit) before entering into a contract for sale of the property on which residential building work was done within the previous 6 years
Home warranty insurance is required to be obtained where the contract price is over $20,000 or, if the contract price is not known, the reasonable market cost of the labour and materials involved is over $20,000.

For further information on Insurance matters, please contact the Department of Fair Trading (new window). 

Long Service Levy

The Scheme pays a long service payment to eligible registered workers who have worked in the building and construction industry in New South Wales during the time of their registration and where this time is recorded in the Scheme.

For further information on Long Service Levy, please contact the Long Service Corporation on 13 14 41

Useful links

The following links open in a new window:

Becoming an Owner-builder
NSW Government - Fair Trading 

When does Home Warranty
insurance need to be provided?
NSW Government - Fair Trading

Meetings & Agendas

View all agendas and minutes for Council and Committee meetings.
Agendas & Minutes

Newsletter Signup

Signup for our In Your Neighbourhood newsletter and get news direct to your inbox!

© 2018 Shoalhaven City Council
Copyright  |   Privacy  |   Site Map