Plumbing & drainage - Shoalhaven City Council

Plumbing and drainage

In accordance with the provisions of the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 and Regulation, from 1 January 2013 the NSW Office of Fair Trading is the single plumbing and drainage regulator for all on-site plumbing and drainage work in NSW.  Fair Trading has delegated certain functions under the Plumbing and Drainage Act, 2011 to Shoalhaven City Council for plumbing and drainage works within the city boundaries.

All plumbing and drainage work must comply with the Plumbing Code of Australia and Australian Standard AS/NZS 3500.  Copies of the Plumbing Code of Australia can be obtained from the Australian Building Codes Board at and copies of AS/NZS 3500 can be obtained from

NOTE: Shoalhaven Libraries provide online access to the Australian Standard AS/NZS 3500.  Please note due to copyright restrictions, copies of the documents are unable to be made.

Fair Trading licenses plumbers and drainers under the Home Building Act 1989, and all plumbing and drainage work must be completed by a person holding a licence, qualified supervisor certificate or tradesperson certificate.

Plumbers and drainers working in the Shoalhaven Local Government Area continue to contact Shoalhaven City Council to book inspections, pay fees, submit documentation and for enquiries.

Documents and forms
Plumbers and drainers are required to submit the following documents at certain stages of the work:

  • Notice of Work is to be issued to Shoalhaven City Council no later than 2 business days before the work concerned is carried out.
  • Certificate of Compliance is to be issued to Shoalhaven City Council and to the person for whom the work was carried out, on completion of the final inspection.
  • Sewer Service Diagram is to be issued to Shoalhaven City Council and the owner of the land or the owner's agent at the completion of the drainage works.

What work requires a Notice of Work?
A Notice of Work is required for any plumbing installation downstream from the point of connection to a water supply and any sanitary plumbing or drainage work from the fixture to the point of connection with the local utility operator.  The Notice of Work must be completed by the licensed plumber or drainer.

To download a Notice of Work template click here.

What is a Certificate of Compliance?
A Certificate of Compliance is a legal requirement.  It confirms that a licensed plumber/drainer has undertaken work, which complies with current legislation and the relevant industry Codes and Standards.  A Certificate of Compliance must be filled out for all completed plumbing and drainage work.
To download a Certificate of Compliance template click here.

What is a Sewer Service Diagram?
A Sewer Service Diagram is a layout of the onsite house service line from the fixtures to the point of connection or the property boundary.
To download a copy of the Sewer Service Diagram Requirements click here.

Do I still need approval under Section 68 of the Local Government Act? 
Approval is still required from Council under Section 68 of the Local Government to carry out the following works:

  • Connection of plumbing or dranage works to Council's asset, e.g. a reticulated sewerage system
  • Installation of a sewage treatment system/onsite disposal system (septic tank); and
  • Stormwater drainage works

To download a Drainage Application form click here.

Do I still need to request the Council to inspect plumber and drainage work?
Yes, there are no changes to the requirements for inspections by Council of plumbing and drainage works.  All work covered by a Notice of Work must be insepcted and passed by Council prior to the works being covered or completed and includes:


Type of Inspection: Stage of Construction: 

Internal drainage

All internal drainage pipework installed and under hydraulic test, including any required bedding material, and prior to backfilling. 

Hot and cold water service

All pipework installed and under hydraulic test. 

External drainage

Pipework installed and under hydraulic test, septic tank installed or sewer connected (which ever applicable) and prior to backfilling. 

Final inspection of drainage works

All drainage works completed, including septic installations and stormwater if applicable. 

How do I arrange a Council inspection?
To book an inspection, please contact Council's Development Services on (02) 4429 3211 (Nowra office) or 4429 8999 (Ulladulla office) with the following information:

- Development Application number (if applicable)
- Type of inspection
- Date of inspection
- Name and contact phone number
- Address of property to be inspected

You are advised: 

  • the booking should be made at least 24 hours before the inspection is required
  • work must be ready at the time of the inspection, otherwise Council may charge a re-inspection fee
  • any dogs on the premises must be restrained

 What fees do I have to pay?
The fees applicable to plumbing and drainage works are specified in Council's adopted Fees and Charges.


Contact us

Phone: (02) 4429 3111

Development Services

Useful links

NSW Government
Fair Trading

Application form (PDF 367kb):
NSW Fair Trading Notice of Work & Certificate of Compliance

Information sheet (PDF 507 kb):
Sewer Service Diagram Requirements

Approval under Section 68
Drainage Application form

Shoalhaven Water (new window)

Meetings & Agendas

View all agendas and minutes for Council and Committee meetings.
Agendas & Minutes

Newsletter Signup

Signup for our In Your Neighbourhood newsletter and get news direct to your inbox!

© 2018 Shoalhaven City Council
Copyright  |   Privacy  |   Site Map